A recent study found that more than half of Americans with a retirement savings account have taken an early withdrawal.1 It’s a tempting move to make, especially when you’re changing jobs. But even if your account balance seems too small to represent significant retirement savings, the power of compounding over time can be your best friend.
That’s why your UC Retirement Savings Program lets you roll in your other retirement accounts.
WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS?
Consolidating your accounts is an especially attractive option if you are new to UC, because you may have a previous employer’s account that you need to make a decision about. Besides the obvious perks like simplicity, convenience, and continued tax advantages, you get these benefits, too:
- Simplicity and convenience. Your money still has the potential to grow tax-deferred, as it did in your old plan, but it’s easier to manage when it’s all under one roof.
- Lower fees and flexibility of investment choices. You can choose from a variety of investment options, including those from the UCRSP Fund Menu, which carry lower expenses than many similar publicly traded investment options.
- Better control. If you have investments in several locations, it’s difficult to stay in control of your overall portfolio. When everything is in one place, it’s easier to see your complete financial picture.
- Personal help with your rollover and more. You can get personal retirement planning assistance from a UC-dedicated workplace financial consultant. This service is available at no additional cost.
Before you make a decision, you may want to take these steps:
- Compare the fees and expenses. Understand the fees charged by your old plan and IRA provider and compare them to the UC Retirement Savings Program fees.
- Know your preferences for managing your accounts. For example, you may like having your assets with one provider.
- Evaluate the potential tax impact of any move. Make sure you understand how your taxes may be affected by the choice you make.
- Get help from a UC-dedicated workplace financial consultant. UC-dedicated workplace financial consultants can help you evaluate your decision based on your complete financial picture. Schedule a one-on-one consultation to meet with a specific UC workplace financial consultant or call 1-800-558-9182 to talk now
THE BOTTOM LINE
Employer-sponsored plans like those offered by UC are among the easiest, most recommended ways to plan and invest for your retirement.
When you take full advantage of your UC Retirement Savings Program, you’re building a foundation for your future. And that may just be the best move of all.